Wednesday 14 September 2011

John Lewis

How can you not love JL? When I first came across the store I was immediately smitten. It may be packed, but it works. There are differing layouts in different areas and you keep seeing stuff that you might not want, but it delights the eye and somehow other people's interest in it seems magical. I remember heading for an exit and my way was blocked as a salesman was spreading out carpets from a stack to show a customer.

Most times I would have been annoyed but here it was right and brought a smile. I just waited. The store is able to bring a civilising influence and exudes a calm, whether busy or not. Rude customers make you bristle, as they have no place in this realm.

And in the hard nosed world of reality there is a recession on and The John Lewis Partnership suffer as do others. Yes I'm sure their 'never knowingly undersold' is costing them dear, but it is a creed that has stood them in good stead. But do they still need it? Surely their customers are savvy enough and if they buy from JL it is because they want to and they trust the store to offer good prices, if not the absolute lowest.

Most importantly though, they must not view price pressures as being a precursor to lower quality merchandise.  The reduction in profits is only to be expected and I like the attitude of store expansion at Waitrose, but they need to keep cool heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment