Thursday 18 October 2012

Energy Prices

Just after having increased their prices, the energy companies say they are surprised that the government wants them to always give customers the lowest tariff as a default, rather than offer a bewildering array of tariffs for some strange reason (surely not designed to deliberately confuse?). Here is my take on their 'surprise';

'I didn't see it coming. no can't say I did. Surprised me it did. See, I'm a professional burglar. I've taken the time to learn my trade, perfect it so to speak. When I breaks into a house I do it with minimum fuss or damage. I take what delights my eye and will make a quid and I leaves. I don't turn the place over or smash things up unnecessarily, that's just vandalism that, ain't no need for it.

I break in when no-one is at home; poor dears don't need to find someone rummaging, do they? Tell you the truth I could do without the fright too. Anyways, I think I do a good job, I'm local and responsive to the needs of my customers. As I say, I'm a professional.

Now I find that the police are interested in arresting me, like some common criminal. Didn't see that coming.'

Now I'm not suggesting that energy companies are burglars, because you invite them into your home, though the theft element is clearly there. I think their surprise is genuine in that they have been able to ignore government, good practice and the fact that there is, apparently, a regulator, because they have been given carte blanche previously to operate pretty much as a monopoly and where this runs into hints of competition, as a cartel, without so much as a tweet from government.

Now the Conservatives are suggesting they should behave responsibly. Shocking. Such consideration for the public suggests Cameron might actually offer a referendum on the EU. But then, both are just talk at present.

No comments:

Post a Comment