Thursday 7 February 2013

Freedom

I have just retweeted something from Stephen Fry. He was saying that today is the trial of a man from the only paper in Russia that stands up to Putin. I can support that. But it got me thinking, connecting the dots.

Have we not just had the Leveson report, which seems to be concerned mainly that the state should control newspaper output? I was also fascinated by the route taken to achieve this. In a celebrity obsessed world (not least by politicians) they used celebrities to complain that their phones had been hacked into. So what? Who, really, cares?

And how is it important to the entire output of newspapers? Well, it isn't, it was just to hold your attention and perhaps be something you would support. There has been a lot of heat and not a lot of light. How many people arrested and how many found guilty? Lots of the former almost none of the latter.

Why? Because it wasn't about crime, it was about control. Left wing control of the papers. Look who has been swiftly dealt with - a whistleblowing policewoman. I mean, why were quite so many police officers put on to an enquiry into the listening to celebrities voicemails? Crime of the century, I think not.

So perhaps Stephen will tweet about the threat to press freedom here, I know none of the Left are so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment