Thursday 6 February 2014

Conversations: The Unbelievable Believed

Two friends (probably Andrew Normal-Person and a Mr. Ot, who likes to be called by his surname as his first name embarrasses him, being the same as ex-President Amin of Uganda).

A: 'I have just been on that lecture course I told you about. You know, Climate Change and how our polluting the world with carbon is causing runaway Global Warming - which reminds me, you got your heating on, I have. Always bloody cold me, dunno what my bill will be, why does gas and electricity cost so much?- Anyway. It was brilliant and sooo obvious when you are told how to look for the facts'.
B: 'Hasn't there been no warming for something like 16 years?'
A: 'Yeah, the computers predicted that. You get little pauses every now and again. Really caught the Deniers out; they hadn't predicted it at all - and they can't explain it'.
B: 'Hasn't it always fluctuated, the weather? You know sometimes warmer sometimes colder. Didn't we used to grow grapes here during Roman times, must have been warm then?'
A: 'No, apparently it's warmer now than it has ever been'
B: 'And you believe that, because of the lectures?'
A: 'Oh yes, they were excellent. The guy giving them had a PhD in Social Science, so you know he's clever and a Scientist. Plus, he cares, unlike those Deniers, because he works for Greenpeace'.
B: 'Right. Anyway, moving on. I have to go to New York next week, you should come along, we could have a great laugh'.
A: 'No, I couldn't go to America. They might be invaded by Martians again'.
B: 'Right. OK. I'll get you a Yankees cap'
A: 'That would be cool'.

No comments:

Post a Comment