Tuesday 27 March 2012

Game Over?

So called video games/computer games have almost always left me cold. I was mysteriously addicted to Galaxian in my younger days, but otherwise I cannot get hooked on them generally as so many do. Why intelligent people hang on these pixel fantasies I have no idea, probably it is the same problem as believing in global warming.

I have tried aircraft shooting games, that should have appealed to me, but it soon seemed essentially the same thing time after time. A few minutes of Angry Birds and I'm happy to hand the device back to a much more dedicated youngster. Nope, repetition it seems, is not for me. Lots of people do buy this junk, but even so the High Street chain Game is slipping under the water.

Perhaps these types of games are not really a High Street product and are more efficiently sold online, where overheads can be lower. But I still smell a rat. Even with 'economies of scale' Amazon seem to present, particularly new  release products, at very cheap prices.

Now, either the manufacturer is offering Amazon some pretty amazing deals, not also available to the likes of Game, or some predatory pricing is likely. Companies like Amazon and Tesco would jump up and down at the suggestion that they do such a thing, evidence not withstanding. But I also think there is probably an arrogance from companies like EA, who try to dominate by product and pressure.

David Cameron sucks up to big business just like any other politician, but the upshot of the shenanigans these people engage in, is a lot of little people, just trying to earn an honest crust get shafted and lose their jobs. I don't mind EA existing; they employ people too and I gather people with addictive tendencies like their products, but I do object to power corrupting.

Online retail was always going to hit the High Street trade, but the two can live together, though not if we turn a blind eye to 'sharp practice' and its less salubrious family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment