Thursday 6 February 2014

Conversations: Global Warming/Climate Change Debate

This conversation is between two friends, normal people unconnected to anything 'climate' related.

A: 'Oh yeah, I got a book by that bloke you were on about'
B: 'Eh?'
A: 'You know, the one you said was brilliant, explained all the climate change stuff. Never really understood it myself'
B: 'Oh yes, I know. So you liked it then? He really knows his stuff doesn't it? Makes it clear what is going on. Before I heard about him I didn't really have any idea about it all either, but now I have no idea how anyone can deny it.
A: 'What I liked was that he explains it all, goes through the science and how he observed it out his window, really happening'
B: 'Thing is mate, Sir Crispin Tickell is a clever bloke, he was a close advisor to Margaret Thatcher, got her behind it all'
A: 'I remember you saying. All sounded interesting so I went into the bookshop and asked for the climate book by Crispin Tickell and they came up with this one Climactic Change and World Affairs. 
B: 'Now you know what danger the world is in from Global Warming and how he is right on it.
A: 'Er, Global Warming?'
B: 'Dur, yeah, Global Warming, it's what he bangs on about all the time
A: 'Does he?'
B: 'Of course he does. What book have you been reading?'
A: 'Well, it is from the early Seventies but he is banging on about Global Cooling, really makes a strong case, world wide temperature readings, decades of dropping temperatures. Clearly makes the case there is an ice age coming.
B: 'Crispin Tickell?'
A: 'Yep'
B: 'Says the world is cooling?
A: 'Certain of it.'
B: 'Well he obviously likes to believe in world wide catastrophes, because he is now convinced that the planet is warming'
A: 'Really? That makes it a trifle difficult to believe what he says doesn't it. Maybe I should look into it a bit more, read something else?'
B: 'My mate who mentioned him to me, massive on all this environment stuff, says you shouldn't look into it yourself, because you might end up reading a deniers book by accident. Apparently there are loads of them, because publishers get big payments from oil companies to publish them, he says. He said he has a list of approved books and they are the only ones anyone should read.'
A: 'Oh, OK'

No comments:

Post a Comment